This is the day!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." --Psalm 118:24

We randomly started a new habit this week. When I go in to get R in the morning I quote this verse and also say it several times throughout the day. She has picked up on it and usually laughs or smiles or spins or some combination of the 3 in response.

I really had no plan or intention of doing this. It just kind of happened once and stuck. But from it I am learning a few things.

First, it is just a reminder to me of the impact of scripture and taking the time to meditate on it. This verse has been on my mind the last week and it reminds me at the beginning of my day that this is true. This day was made by God, complete with the joys it brings or the sorrows, and because of THAT, no matter the outcome of the day, I can find joy. It helps me focus more on God's goodness and provision rather than on the struggles, stresses, and difficulties of my day (which honestly, tend to be ridiculously minimal in the grand scheme of things!).

I am also learning and being challenged by my role as R's mother. I am reminded that I am discipling this young life! And she is at a place where her understanding GREATLY exceeds her ability to communicate. I believe that the repetitiveness of some of the things I am telling her is truly impacting her more than I understand. And I also believe that even where her understanding might lack the habits I am creating for myself are vital to her life.

I have the gentle hands conversation at least 8 times a day. "God tells us to love one another. Our hands are a tool to show others love. When you hit/scratch/pinch that hurts and that isn't showing mommy/daddy/..... that you love them. Try again with gentle hands." After the 8th time it is easy to feel very silly (especially in front of others) and question the effects. But I remind myself that even when it doesn't seem like it, she understands it more than I would think and it creates a good habit for us now, setting a path for how we want to always discipline.

And this is why I feel desperate to grow in the habit of starting my morning fresh, before R is up. When I do that I take a moment to love on Jesus, get my body moving so I am really awake, and make a game plan for the day which makes me so much more productive and so much more patient. I was doing okay (meaning more days than not) before we went on vacation. But I haven't been able to get back on track since I have been home. I know the truth though.

So I am taking a challenge. I have been following a blog called Inspired to Action and am going to take her Hello Mornings Challenge this fall. (inspiredtoaction.com/hellomornings) I signed up today and am excited to have some virtual accountability and encouragement to be faithful to create this habit.

"For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."
Hebrews 12:11

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful idea :) Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of repeating the same verse as you get your child up for the day! Sets the tone for mom and babe! I'm gonna try that.

    I'm doing Hello Mornings as well and we are in the same group! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS